FULL: A Swiss museum is restoring a uncommon King Tiger tank utilized by Nazi Germany’s 506th Heavy Tank Battalion on the Western Front and hopes it is going to turn out to be the second driveable King Tiger left on the earth.
The tank was in all probability given to the Swiss military by French forces within the years after World War Two and should have fought on the Battle of Arnhem and the Battle of the Bulge in 1944.
“It was in horrible condition, it has been exposed to the open climate for decades. It was full of water and rusted,” stated Bernd Kubicki, who’s main the restoration on the Swiss Military Museum.
Eventually those that made substantial donations in direction of the restoration will probably be allowed to journey within the 700 horsepower V12 machine on a close-by discipline. The 68-tonne behemoth is one of solely eight King Tiger tanks remaining from the roughly 490 constructed throughout World War Two.
“The Tiger is probably the most famous German tank from the war, but the King Tiger was even heavier, better armoured and had a bigger gun,” stated Kubicki. “Everyone wants to see a Tiger, they are legendary, so to get one for this museum and to restore it is like hitting the jackpot in the lottery,” he added.
The tank, which has armour up to 18.5 cm (7.3 inches) thick in locations, was inbuilt September 1944.
Precisely the way it got here to Switzerland is just not recognized.
“After the war many of the tanks were distributed among the Allies for evaluation. We think this one may have been given to the Swiss army by the French”
The museum in Full, northern Switzerland, received it in 2006.